Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

One lesson I learned as I turn 21 this year

This is it, guys. I have finally turned 21 years old. At 21 years old, I do feel that I have changed drastically compared to if you would have known me 3 or 4 years ago.

At 21 years old, I have learned quite a number of things. Most importantly, I learned some of the knick and knacks of being human. In the beginning of this year, when I experienced health failure and eventually depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I learned that in life, there are people whom deserve to be in our life and some who don't. Those who deserve or simply put, are worth my trust and time are those who stood by me when I am at my lowest.

Then, there are those who truly just does not give a damn about us and thus, does not deserve to be worthy of our friendship. Along with this realisation, I also came to learn that the world does not owe us anything. The art of being human is simple, we are not obliged to anybody, that's a fair argument. Thus, some people despite being seemingly good to you at first could just turn on you for perhaps no reason at all because there are not bonded to you, right? After telling myself that this argument is fair and valid, I then, teach myself one thing, keep people who are truly sincere to you close to the heart and throw those who takes you for granted away as easy as throwing out trash.

Thanks to this early lesson in the beginning of this year it made my life very simple and from then on people who treat me like I am trash were discarded from my life.

If you are someone who have gone through health failure you will understand my new principle in life. When you are lying down in a hospital bed from morning to night, have needles going through your veins, going for surgery, looking out the window and wishing you weren't in pain and still have to take shit from people whom you thought was your friend then you will understand that it is okay to just let people go.

We do not need a million and one people in our lives. We just need our family members (who are probably the only people in the world who will never turn their back on you else your life is screwed up), your loved one and a few friends who are truly sincere to us.

Therefore, in celebration of my coming of age I would like to mention people whom I am grateful towards. I might have mentioned these people a few times already but in life, it does not hurt to show how grateful you are from time to time.

*It is understood that I am forever grateful to my family members AND Tee Wei-Lim my boyfriend*

So here's a shout out to these people AND a little description to go along with it.


  1. David Nge Chee Keen: He's quiet but at 23 years old I admire his thirst for knowledge & to be honest, his wisdom at such a young age. So positive and an amazing friend to talk to. 
  2. Richard Moh: An old soul, fluffy on the outside but if you take time and listen to him, you will learn things you never would from text books AND how dull would my life be if I didn't have him to always keep me company?
  3. Kavidha Natarajan: Someone whom I will always call in times of need. She's level headed, she listens and does not act rashly. She's someone you need when you're messed up.
  4. Kimberly Yong: I love you dear, we don't see each other that often but it has never felt like we weren't there for each other even for a day. You're a kind and beautiful person. 
  5. Yuet Ting: I've known her for 15 years. We've been together for 15 years. Primary school, high school and then now. She's still the kind hearted girl I met at 7 years old. I love you too.
  6. Wan Sin: When I see her I feel calm, I want a hug and she will give me a hug. She is an adventurous soul too.
  7. Imran: His wisdom reflects the years of learning he has had but again, so fluffy on the outside, if only we could take time to listen to what he has learned in life instead.
  8. Alex Wong: Is there a word to describe, funny, profound, slightly bimbo yet sometime serious, spiritual and charismatic combined? Oh there is, Alex. 
  9. Raymond: Heart of gold. I will never be as pure and sincere as Raymond so I am so grateful for someone like him in my life. He reminds you that no matter how ugly the world is you don't have to drag yourself down to that level. 
  10. Carmen Lee: I secretly want to learn from what she learns in her everyday life that she shares with us because I think someone who wants to keep learning like her is admirable. 
  11. Lilian: What can I say, a good friend is hard to find. A good and selfless friend like Lilian is even harder to find. So I will keep you forever and not let you go. 
  12. Elicia: We have common topics to talk about all the time *coughmainlyrantingaboutourboyfriendcough* What more can I say.... we understand each other's pain (kidding)
These are the people that I want to thank for being with me the past few years. Thank you for impacting me in one way or another. 

*There's also amazing people whom I treasure such as Yen Li, Wai Yee, James, Marcus, my current AMAXING team mates.... so to you guys, you rock*

I'm 21 years old now. You won't be able to find Amy Version 1.0 anymore but look forward to Amy Version 5.0 etc in the future. 

To the future Amy, this is you at 21 years old. You have not learn all there is to learn yet, so keep moving forward and may you learn more there is to life in the future. 

Cheers,
Amy Lim (21 years old, 23 July 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment